Need to find out what the serial number of your Wi-Spy is? We don't need it at MetaGeek for anything, but you might need it for inventory purposes at your company. This guide will show you how to find it.
Chanalyzer 5 and inSSIDer Office Users
1. Connect your Wi-Spy.
2. Open Windows Explorer.
3. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaGeek\FirmwareUpdater.
4. Launch FirmwareUpdater.exe.
5. The firmware update utility will display the serial number of your Wi-Spy.
Chanalyzer 4, Chanalyzer Lab, and Chanalyzer Pro Users
Earlier versions of Chanalyzer do not include a separate update utility, but the serial number can be discovered through Device Manager.
1. Open the Device Manager by clicking on the Start button, typing Device Manager, and pressing enter.
2. In the Device Manager, find the Human Interface Devices group, and expand it.
3. The Wi-Spy will be listed as an HID-compliant device in the list.
Note: If you aren't sure which device is the Wi-Spy, try disconnecting it and reconnecting it to see which device disappears and reappears again.
4. Right-click the Wi-Spy, and select Properties from the menu.
5. Select the Details tab in the Properties window, and then Last Known Parent from the Property list.
6. "VID_1DD5" confirms that the selected hardware is a Wi-Spy, as this is a vendor-specific ID that this is a MetaGeek product.
7. All of the letters following the last "\" are the Wi-Spy serial number. In this case, the serial number is "214031702652".