0.0.6.13 Beta 1 (macOS)
Note: We don't recommend using beta releases in production environments. We always say this for beta releases, but in this case, we really mean it.
- This is the initial release of Signifi Agent for macOS! Giving you a list of changes feels a bit silly, since there was no public release prior to this. Since you’re a beta user, we figured that you might want to know what was done since our last major internal Alpha release.
- Updated the colors and icons to match the new “Signifi” branding! Expect to see more adjustments to the icons (sizing, background) in the near future.
- Previously, you couldn't use command + V to paste your password into the login window. At the very last minute, we fixed it for this release. Whew!
- More reliably handles switching to “Work” and “Somewhere Else” site types.
- As a hold-over from the Windows version, we were showing the “Receive” data rate. macOS doesn’t give us the receive data rate, so we removed that indicator - you’ll only see the “transmit” indicator in Signifi Agent. The receive direction arrows will copy whatever the transmit arrow color is.
- If you left Signifi Agent running for several hours, it would crash. That’s bad, because crashes are bad, and users are supposed to let Signifi Agent run all of the time. Hopefully it's fixed, but if not, let us know.
- In the bandwidth usage indicators, we used to show two decimal places. To keep things clean and consistent with everything else in Signifi, now we only show one decimal place.
- Since this is a beta release, there are a lot of issues! Despite the long list of problems, we decided to release it anyway, so you can get an early look at the app. Thank you very much for being willing to test this for us!
- Ultimately, Signifi Agent will run as a “Menu Bar” application (like the System Tray in Windows). It doesn’t do that yet, but it does need an open Window to keep running, so we recommend minimizing it into the dock for now. We hope to fix this in our "Beta 2" release.
- If you switch to a new site (like connect to a different Wi-Fi network), Signifi Agent doesn’t handle the change very well. Agent looks at the SSID, Gateway MAC, and BSSID to determine if a site changed, and macOS is very, very slow to give us that data. We’ll keep looking for better ways to handle this, but know that for now, it takes a couple of minutes and causes Signifi Agent to behave strangely sometimes. We don't think that quickly switching networks will be a common use case for Signifi Agent, so we decided to let this one slide for now (but we do plan to fix or improve it).
- In some cases (especially after letting the app sit for awhile), Signifi Agent will ask what your site type is (even if you haven't changed networks). After selecting "Home", it will stop on the "Scanning..." view and not progress any further. You'll have to quit the application and start it again to fix it. We almost didn't release this build because of this problem, but ultimately decided that you might be okay working around this, since it's a beta.
- WAN and LAN latency are higher than the Windows version for some reason, even on the same network. Pings done from the Terminal in macOS doesn't match what Signifi Agent is reporting, so we know that the problem originates from within Signifi. We'll investigate this, and get it fixed.
- The arrows between "Internet" and "Router" are supposed to change colors, depending on current usage. For example, green means there's plenty of bandwidth to spare. Red means you're at or exceeding your total available bandwidth (which is based on the last scan). Right now, they're always stuck on red.
- When you add a room, it isn’t automatically selected in the drop-down combo box. That’s super annoying - we will fix that in the next release.
- There are a lot of UI issues to polish, such as icons that aren’t centered (nearly all of them), and text that is bold when it should not be. We plan to fix all of that soon.
- Unlike the Windows version, there’s currently no user interface to handle a “Disconnected” network state. We decided to hold off on implementing this to get Beta 1 out the door faster.
- Similarly, there’s no UI to handle Ethernet connections.
- During scans, there aren’t animations or unique colors on the icons.
- After a scan is completed, we don’t yet show how many issues Signifi Cloud found. For now, just click on "View Audit Report" (which isn’t right either, lol) to visit Signifi Cloud and see issues.
- In Signifi Cloud, under "Wi-Fi Adapter", you'll see the name of the interface (such as "en0"), instead of the name of the Wi-Fi adapter. In the future, we'll probably always say, "Apple AirPort Adapter" or similar when uploading scans from Signifi Agent. We'll also add a lot more details about the client device.
- On non-Retina displays, the Download and Upload Usage Graphs don't draw properly. Although they're fine on Retina displays, we plan to get this fixed.
- Once you click "Add a Room", there's no way to go back. Add a room - or else! We'll get a back button added in the next release.
- On macOS 10.14 Mojave, none of the icons in the "Stats View" (the front page of the application) don't populate. Instead, you'll only get their light-colored backgrounds. Let us know if you see this issue, and what version of macOS you are running.